Paula Dennan is a writer, feminist activist and organiser, and a book reviewer who swapped life in Dublin for the quietness of Co. Kerry. She was once a regular runner, until her health got in the way. She hopes to get back to it someday.
Cornflakegirl’s Musings as been through some changes since 2011, but is best described as a blog about books, feminism and life. I came late to a lot of things; the realisation I was bisexual, being pro-choice and feminism in general. My interest in feminism and LGBTQ+ rights and experiences turned me into an activist and organiser.
I always wondered why somebody doesn’t do something about that. Then I realised I was somebody. – Lily Tomlin
- Founding member and spokesperson for Kerry for Choice; a pro-choice group advocating for free, safe, legal abortion access in Ireland. Kerry for Choice is a regional group of the national Abortion Rights Campaign.
- Partnerships and Outreach Working Group Representative with the Abortion Rights Campaign; supporting the development of the campaign’s regional groups and coordinating with ally groups.
- Bi+ Ireland Coordinator; working on all things social media and website related. I wrote about what it’s like to be bisexual when you live in rural Ireland. – Being bi+ in rural Ireland
- Founding member of Kerry Feminist Collective; a grassroots, volunteer-run feminist activist group.
- Spokesperson for Kerry Together for Yes during the referendum to Repeal the Eighth Amendment to the Irish Constitution.
- Helpline volunteer with LGBT Ireland.
- Canvassing Materials Coordinator for Yes Equality Kerry during the referendum to legalise same-sex marriage. I wrote about my experience of the campaign. – Marriage equality: the LGBTQ+ community, canvassing and voting yes
I can usually be found with a book in my hand or sharing links on social media to articles, blog posts and stuff from the internet that has caught my attention.